- November 12, 2019
- Posted by: admin
Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Specialist
Henson Geodata Technologies Ltd
Henson Geodata Technologies Ltd (HGT) is a privately registered Limited liability company in Ghana. It prides itself as a GIS company that seeks to be a lead in development sustainable GIS tools and application for Africa. These tools used in making the lives of people on the continent much easier and improves on the efficiency on the job. HGT works with three key departments, thus Data and analysis, Software solutions and commercial units.
Effective with the release of this position announcement, HGT is seeking applicants for the position of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Specialist to be based in Accra, Ghana.
POSITION TITLE: Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Specialist
LOCATION: Accra, Ghana
UNIT: Data and Analysis Department
REPORTS TO: Head of Data and Analysis
Responsible for the technical implementation of the GIS and Remote Sensing projects in the department. Project evaluation and monitoring. The GIS Specialist will also work with Software Solution by providing technical advice and training when needed. He/she will also be responsible for providing spatial data and or products.
- Design and conduct spatial analysis to support M&E indicator reporting, including providing geo-located data and spatial products on applicable project indicators
- Design and conduct spatial analysis to support implementation software and solutions
- Prepare customized GIS databases and create maps for partners and projects
- Provide technical assistance to staff as needed, including acquisition, analysis, and interpretation of field data, spatial data and remote sensing imagery
- Provide training to team members in the use of GIS methods
- Prepare and contribute to presentations of methods and results
- Conduct literature reviews and background document research
- Prepare periodic reports, maps, and written deliverables on projects and partners
- Perform any other tasks as assigned by the supervisor(s).
Qualification Required & Experience
- Education: Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree preferred with demonstrated coursework in the application of GIS/Remote sensing techniques to issues in ecosystem ecology, forestry, natural resource management, land cover/ land use, climate change or a closely related field.
- Bachelor’s degree with extensive work experience will be considered as equivalent.
- Demonstrated experience in the application of spatial analysis to land use, land use change, or land planning is must.
- Experience in analysis and design of projects using information technology and GIS is required.
- Good understanding of remote sensing methods and techniques a plus.
- Team support experience is desired.
- Experience with databases using SQL including construction and macro development is desirable.
- Knowledge in programming is a plus
- Ability to work and train using GIS software.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills are required, including a demonstrated ability to produce clear and concise reports and presentations on highly technical material.
- Proficiency in computer applications including Microsoft Word, Excel spreadsheets, email, presentation, and database software is required.
- Familiarity with at least one statistical software package is desired.
- Demonstrated strong analytical capability and excellent interpersonal skills are required, including the ability to interact effectively with others.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Language skills: English – fluent written and spoken.
How to Apply for The Job
All interested candidates shall submit their applications (maximum 5 pages including resume, three references and one-page cover letter) in English to:
indicating “Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Specialist” in the subject line.